Tuesday 7 December 2010

All about me Part 1: When I was wee

I am a 31 year old mature student doing a land-based course in Scotland. I live with my boyfriend, our dog and our cat (named in size order, as I do love to order things by size) in a crumbling Victorian era flat with loads of history. We’re outdoorsy people; I am a ski bunny and my boyfriend is a cyclist, and we both enjoy long walks along the coast and rough camping. We also like walking up hills, though I’m not as fond of walking down them!

I have struggled with my weight since I was a kid, though until the past year or so I’ve always been healthy. I was a chubby child until the age of 11 – I was never “fat”, but there was definitely a noticeable belly and a certain jolliness around the cheeks and double chin – when I lost quite a lot of weight just by eating a little less and shedding a bit of puppy fat. I was never particularly skinny, but I did a lot of sport in school (football, hockey, baseball, track and jujitsu for the most part) as well as skiing every weekend during the long Canadian winters.

I was also never “skinny” except for a brief eating disorder when I was 14 or 15, which may have originated from a brief bout of food poisoning at boarding school and an aversion to pork in a German- speaking country, where everything from bratwurst to schnitzel was just another incarnation of the pig. I didn’t eat much during my two years at that school! Especially when I discovered the servers at the Spiesesaal identified everything as “fleisch”, with no differentiation between schwein (pig), huhn (chicken) and rindfleisch (beef), not to mention pferdfleisch (horse).

No comments:

Post a Comment